Tuesday 20 November 2007

Finally, some lions...

I needed a break last weekend and went up to visit some friends in Johannesburg. It was brilliant because I got to see some amazing lions too whilst I was there. I'd remarked to Y that I hadn't seen any yet and she remembered the Lion Park so we headed there on Saturday morning. Bit pricey, but entry did include the cub section where we got to go in and stroke the lion cubs. I stroked this one (see photo), who is 3 months old! So soft and furry, like a massive cat. It was quite hot on Saturday so they were all lying around keeping cool in the shade. When I first stroked the lion it kept looking round but the keeper said I had to stroke firmly as otherwise they think I'm a fly and then might bite me... Cool... a real lion bite.. But anyway, it didn't go for me. The people who went in after us were getting their trainers chewed later on, but as we were only in flip-flops I'm glad they had just been chilling with us...

We also got to feed giraffes from a special raised platform. Cool.

Then we drove round the park and got up close and personal with more lions. (more photos on facebook) It was hot and the lions only get fed once a week on Sundays so they were loitering about under trees. The first lioness was very interested in the stupidity of the men in the white mercedes who were following us round, especially in the one man who opened his window and was leaning out to take photos. Those people were especially irritating as they were cutting up other cars to get to the lions first, and opening their windows etc... Not as stupid, however, as the woman who had her window down and her child in the back leaning out taking photos of the same hungry lioness a little bit later. When will people understand that the 'Lions are dangerous, unpredictable wild animals. Please keep car windows closed at all times' sign actually means just that!?!?! If the animal had been bothered, there would not have been time for that woman to get her child in and window closed...

Thankfully, no one was eaten, but the creatures are magnificent. Covered in flies and ticks, yes, but that doesn't change how wonderful they are. I can't get over the size of their paws. You wouldn't want to be in an arm wrestle with them. Or any kind of combat for that matter. They are just beautiful, majestic creatures and to get up close to them was incredible. God knew what he was doing when he created these as Kings of the Beasts...

I'm so happy that I've seen some lions, but I still want more. Having seen the Gauteng Lions I may have to pop into Natal Lion park in the next few weeks when Mum and Dad come out...