Saturday 25 August 2007

Back to KZN

I'm back.
Although I've been struggling to get online all week. Apologies for lack of news.
It was great to get back 'home' here again. The kids were all excited to see me, they've got a little song that they sing for me and I've heard it all week. It's so cute.
I brought the crechies some disney princess/winnie the pooh kids cutlery (very imaginative, it took me a while) and they loved it! Everyone else has proper cutlery and the crechies had to use plastic spoons, so these are special... It was so sweet seeing them use them for the first time and loving it.
There's a positive atmosphere in the air with lots of new, enthusiastic and keen volunteers. It's taking me a while to work out who is who, I reckon it will still take me a while as I don't have much to do with them during the week, but I'll get there. It helps too that the sun was shining and it was beautifully warm when I returned (much nicer than the pollution of Jo'burg). It's almost spring!
My house is still in one piece, apart from signs of a passing rat under the sink. Must be the absence of the cats in the kitchen that allowed it to visit. After eating the entire cardboard bit of the lightbulb box and most of a box of washing powder it moved on. Strangely it didn't go near the food cupboard... Needless to say, the cats are back in full force now. Because HR was away for so long, her cats have moved to reception and the former reception cats have moved to mine... so now when I come home instead of a ginger furball rushing out of the undergrowth, I am greeted by 3 little treasures from different directions all wanting attention and cat biscuits. Natha is small, black, scratchy and argumentative, so he doesn't get to come in much. Veenie is tortoiseshell, soft, gentle and cuddly and she's most welcome (although she hates it when I have to evict her in the rain). Tubbles is a bit miffed that she has to share her blanket, but she's getting over it fast. To add to all of this, Patches the dog has also moved in, even though she did chew up a whole piece of cardboard this evening on the kitchen floor. (better than the carpet that she was starting on before I found the distraction of cardboard!) I've no clue how to look after dogs, and it's getting a bit crowded in here, but for the moment it's fun (and there's no sign of any more rodents either!)