Saturday 25 August 2007

Land handover event

On Thursday a whole gang of us went down into the valley of Swayimane to a land-handover ceremony. A family there has donated some land to us for free so that we can build another pre-school project there. But before we can start building we needed to do all the formalities of switching ownership.

It was quite fascinating. In typical Zulu fashion, I'd had to go the long way and arrived nearly 2 hours late and it still hadn't started officially. I got to sit with the dignitaries (in the shade!) and enjoy the stoney ginger beer... Although the land was free, we'd still had to provide the sheep (for dinner), all the food for lunch and various other offerings.

After several pleasantries and speeches, and a performance by the YZW choir, the offical visit of the land happened, with a group walking the boundary and marking it out. Only after this had been completed could lunch begin...

My Zulu is improving, I can now understand what's being said and follow the gist of the conversation and speeches. Still a way to go before I can respond properly though.

Although, I did manage my first conversation in Zulu in the valley on Wednesday. I visited a pre-school and enquired where the teacher was and managed to establish from one of the other teachers that she was ill. The conversation, though short, went as follows:

Me: Sawubona, ninjani?
Ladies: sikhona. Unjani?
Me: Ngiyaphila. UPhumzile?
Ladies: Phumzile abekho.
Me: Uyagula?
Ladies: Yebo.

Amazing. Not a word of English and communication was perfect.
I am well pleased with my progress.