Saturday 6 October 2007

car antics..

It never ceases to amaze me how good God is... Despite the terrible roads over here, He still faithfully protects and provides for me on my frequent travels..

Late yesterday afternoon, I drove a friend, Mdu, to visit his family in Maphephetini, by Inanda dam (possibly the most beautiful dam in this country..) and we would have been ok apart from the thunderstorm that started as soon as we got there. We managed to get out of the deepest bit of the valley ok, but as I was driving up the mountain to Hillcrest, with rivers of water flowing down towards us from the top on the windy road, I managed to drive over a BIG pothole which resulted in the front tyre of my car bursting... (having just been repaired from an embedded nail from another valley road!) So poor old Mdu had to change the tyre in the rain. Zulus don't like storms so he was especially brave! ;-) He's such a star, didn't complain once!

As we were sorting my car out, another car went past which must have done exactly the same manoeuvre as they too had a flat...

Anyway, about half an hour later and soaking wet (I'd been holding the umbrella, but it wasn't much help!) we could go on our way again and made it home safely.

Then this morning, as I was setting out for Durban, I got a frantic call telling me that my rear passenger tyre was flat... so I had to reverse up the track to get back to the soccer field where all the guys where playing a soccer tournament and take one of them with me to the garage to buy 2 new tyres...

It was only on reflection that I realised both tyres must have been hit by the same pothole, yet the back one survived through the storm, roadworks and delays to get home last night. Had it gone then we would almost certainly have been in trouble.. God is good!