Thursday 24 January 2008

but it's not all grim...



Down in other valleys, people are still dancing and doing all the daily routines that keep them going... I'm going back to Maphepheteni to film a little bit more of Mdu's group this weekend. Unfortunately it seems that no one sells the appropriate firewires in this country so I can't edit it until I return to the UK, but I can at least get some good footage to use.

I can't stay in Maphepheteni as I refuse to wash in the river Dusi which is one of the most polluted rivers in the province. The recent Dusi Canoe Marathon was nearly cancelled because of the state of the water and yet families like Mdu's regularly wash clothes, themselves and even drink the water quite happily. And they look disgustingly healthy for it!
Above are a couple of photos I took last time, including the Gogos in their traditional attire.
The weather is not going to be so hot as last time so there's less chance of me getting sunburnt again, thankfully.
This is my last 'weekend off' and I need to spend it wisely, so a trip to the beach is also in order, just to say goodbye to the warm golden sands and lightly ebbing waves of crystal clear sea... Oh, how I'll miss it...
I told the kids I was leaving but they are so used to people coming and going that the reaction wasn't terribly dramatic. I'm organising a leaving party for them just before I go and THEN the realisation that 'Auntie Caroline' won't be around anymore might hit them...
But I'll be back to visit, I'm sure... ;-)