Monday 23 July 2007

CATCH UP - FROM 13th JULY

Scotland 1 – Friday 13th July

I’m writing this after the Stirling show, as people are still milling about at the University Halls of Residence and so I thought I’d be productive with the time before I tell them all to go to bed!
Tonight’s show was excellent and very well-attended. It was kind of strange to be back in the Albert Halls, as only a few years ago I had been to a great wedding reception there (hello Conor and Mhairi, where are you now?!) where the speeches were before the food, thus leading to a lot of drunken comments as the champagne for the toasts went straight to our hungry heads! But there was none of that this evening, although there was a lot of stomping and loud singing.
I had been impressed by the amount of sunshine that Stirling had enjoyed today, but true to form the rain has set in this evening and it sounds like it’s here for the night. So I am reassured about the rumours that it rains a fair bit up here and I do actually need to take my raincoat out with me…

I travelled separately to the group yesterday, arriving by train whereas they came on coaches. One group had been in London at the Centre for Social Justice in Westminster to help HR collect an award, which they did in style apparently. The other group had spent the night in Glasgow, braving the locals in a back-packer style hostel place… (needless to say they were confined to their rooms.) I haven’t travelled long distance by Virgin Rail for a very long time and I was delighted to discover that I could actually watch DVDs on my laptop on the way up, which meant the journey passed quickly.