Sunday 15 July 2007

half way to Norway...

(Note to self... I've written 2 blog entries on the first 2 days in Scotland, but they are on my other computer and can't transfer here... they'll follow soon... keep up!)

I'm writing this entry from sun-baked Shetland where I arrived this morning through the mist over the North Sea. As I compose this, the rest of the YZW party are enjoying/experiencing, what is for many of them their first voyage by sea, a 12 hour ferry crossing from Aberdeen to Lerwick. My flight lasted 1 hour. It was smooth and easy. I'll be the one to pick up the pieces tomorrow morning for the over-tired Zulus when they arrive at 7am, which is fine.

Last night the group performed in Brechin city hall. Apparently that hall hasn't seen so many people in it for a long time, according to the locals. The performance was sold out and pretty much everyone turned up too. Another great performance on a slightly smaller stage. Despite the informal wager that I'd made with Joe the coach driver, no-one fell through the stage. It looked a bit dated and we wondered if it could withstand 26 stomping Zulus, but it did us proud... I had visions of having to remove Mdu, Siya, Sizwe and Nathi from the basement, but thankfully they didn't come into being and everyone is still alive and well (well, they were when they got on the boat in any case... )

Another highlight were the incredible Scottish strawberries. After dinner there was still a fridge-ful left and they were amazing, so fresh and juicy and big and red... Fruit... how I've missed it... The guys have been treated to Scottish delicacies of steak pie, vegetable soup (Zulus don't do soup for some reason) and more steak pie. Which is nice, but not for someone who shouldn't eat refined carbs, trans-fats etc etc... My body was crying out for those strawberries, but I was disappointed that I couldn't quite manage to finish off a whole punnet... (which, incidentally, is really good for you, the humble strawberry being an official 'superfood', with antibacterial and antiviral properties) Never underestimate the power of a simple soft fruit, especially when it's grown locally. Delicious!

But anyway, back to Shetland. It's great up here. It feels like I'm in another world. We had to stop at a 'level crossing' which was actually for the runway as a plane took off. Great. Then there was a drive up to Lerwick through some amazing countryside with sea all around. Did you know there are hardly any trees on Shetland? (interesting fact number 1) and that despite their cuddly appearance, Shetland ponies are actually quite mean (fact number 2). The things you learn when you go to work in Africa, eh?!?

Yesterday it was so foggy we were unsure I'd make it, as the plane would have had to return to Aberdeen (not Bergen in Norway, as I'd hoped), but today the sun has burnt through and I reckon it's the hottest day I've enjoyed in the UK since I came over here. My massive and warm coat has been slung into the corner of my room. I imagine I may have to use it before too long though.

There are about 9000 families on the Island (or Islands really). The YZWs will perform a Gospel Choir Concert and 2 'Thula Sizwe' shows plus workshops for the local kids. I've just been to investigate one of the venues. It's big and it's nice. Should be good. The Shetlanders know how to build nice venues, I hope they'll appreciate the Zulu invasion. I don't think anything could prepare them for it... Even us just being here and wandering round will turn heads. There's not many Zulus on Shetland (not until 7am tomorrow in any case!)