Saturday 7 July 2007

the provincial leg...

On Wednesday night the YZW performed to a packed school theatre at Cokethorpe School near Oxford. The school were excellent hosts, it's a great place. It's in the middle of nowhere but they've got an internet Costa coffee on site! On Thursday lunchtime, the choir sang in the quad next to the dining room and a large crowd of kids and staff assembled and were were uplifted and inspired by their music.
You could tell immediately who was in the crew though - whilst YZWs bellowed out their melodies and harmonies to an appreciative audience, several of us, who are travelling with the choir, were engrossed in checking email instead. (It's not that we don't think they are brilliant... ;-) )

And then it was a coach ride down to Brighton, arriving in the early Friday evening drizzle...
Have been staying with my old housemate and friend Jane, been great to catch up with her and a few more friends down here.

On Friday the group performed at a beach front bar, although they were battling against strong winds and sand, which seemed to get everywhere! Before they sang, they had a photoshoot for the press on the pebbly beach that is Brighton with the old burnt-out pier in the background. (no sandy shores here like they are used to at the Indian Ocean!)
Got some great shots too. (to follow)
ITV sent someone to film the street performance, we watched the news later but it didn't seem to appear, unless it was on a later edition. If anyone saw them on Meridien, please let me know...

The Oxford performance had been great, and the Brighton performance was even better. These guys are improving an already brilliant show with every session. The acoustics and set-up in The Old Market were excellent for the singing and stomping.
For the second time, I had to open the show by speaking briefly about the work in Africa. This meant I got to wear a beautiful Zulu outfit and get lots of compliments; and I had to put my headteacher assembly experience to good use. I also read the part of the narrator, although I am off-stage and with a microphone at that point. I got to watch the show from the wings on this occasion and it's a great place to be. The choir who are off-stage join in as backing singers for those on stage, adding to the richness of the performance. Little C and S, our 2 smallest performers, and I were bopping along to the songs, by the end of the tour I'll have learnt a lot of the Zulu songs and will have improved on my dancing! (not sure about the high-kicks though, especially in my dress!! Although, it's easy enough for the Zulus...)

And this morning we're off again, this time to Weymouth. It sounds near, but I fear it may be fairly far in a coach! The sun has finally made an appearance though, and looks set to stay until Monday, which is a welcome change from all the ridiculous rain we've had to endure of late. But I'm tired and I'm rapidly developing a cold. :(

On Monday we'll be back up in the Midlands, performing in Rugby for 2 nights. More then from my parents' computer!