Saturday 23 June 2007

Green and Pleasant Land - Parte the First

I'm back in the UK!!!!

and I am so tired that it's going to take all my concentration not to make a spelling mistake in this post...

As I type, the wonderful aromas of a roasting chicken, gammon AND pork are wafting up the stairs from Mum's kitchen, preparations for a family lunch tomorrow.

My parents made the briefest trip ever to Gatwick this morning, spending just 25 minutes in the place. By 10am we were at home having coffee, wondering why it felt like 6pm already.

After a long flight, during which I slept about 4 hours, and missed seeing the approach to London because I was snoozing, I was quite emotional to arrive back in the UK. Probably exhaustion-fueled emotions. As I closed my eyes with half an hour to go, I didn't think I'd actually sleep again, and I was rudely awoken by an extremely loud thud and the plane jolted. I started to panic, thinking we'd crashed, then I realised we'd just touched down and all was ok... But it was a bit of a shock to the system.

First impressions of being back after 10 months away:
  • England does GREY in a way like no other.
Yes, it is a 'green and pleasant land', none more than MiddleEngland where I live, but the sky was leaden this morning and the sun was absent, only briefly poking its head out after long intervals... How will I survive without near constant sunshine? what will happen to my tan?
  • I'm in love with BROADBAND, and my parents' amazing new computer. It's SO fast!!!
  • With the exception of the relocation of 'superdrug' and the disappearance of the TellyTubbies shop (woe!), Stratford-upon-Avon remains almost exactly the same as before.
  • Home is always 'sweet home' no matter how long you've been away, or how few hours of sleep you've had....

Tomorrow is a day for seeing lots of people, today is a day for recovering from my long journey (and for delicious roast dinner!) nice.

oh and I'm on the same UK cell number as before, if you still have it in your phones, so please give me a call to catch up, especially if I'm not going to see you (but not until at least tomorrow)