Tuesday 17 April 2007

Finally the ‘multi-coloured’ birds...




(Tuesday - up to date!)


This morning, Mum, Dad and I went to Uvongo Bird Park. Apparently famous. It didn’t look like much from the car park but was actually very interesting when we got in there. A few years ago I would never have entered such a place, as there were free-flying pigeons and doves to contend with and I hate flappy things… I think my rooster has done some fine work in getting me used to being around things with wings… (although he’s never flown at me yet!). We’ve finally filled our quota of multicoloured birds. There were so many beautiful creatures in the aviaries. The best ones were the pair of little birds who’d looked like they’d escaped from the 60’s (unfortunately we couldn’t get a photo). They had red heads, black and red striped chests moving into yellow bellies with green spots, with green wings. Groovy… They would be very at home in an Austin Powers movie.


All the birds were extremely tame as they have become used to being fed by visitors. That’s why a very fat pigeon waddled round with us as our guide (see photo). The place was quite over-run with guinea pigs too. We wondered if they were in fact the ‘small rodents’ that some of these birds were preparing to eat…


In another part of the aviary, the pigeons and doves were more insistent in asking for food and flew around our heads, one even landed on Mum’s back and another on Dad’s head. For a girl who takes the subway round Trafalgar square, this was me out of my comfort zone big-time… but I survived (mostly by flapping my arms around in a frantic manner to dissuade our feathered friends from getting too close. It worked, even if I did look more than a little stupid!)

There was a cool hornbill though, see picture. He made a lot of noise and flapped around just like the Rowan Atkinson version in ‘The Lion King’. Dad and I were on a mission to get the best photos through the bars and I won on this one! ;-) (not that we’re a competitive family or anything… )