Thursday 19 April 2007

Since you've been gone...




(this post is dedicated to L&R, back at work in the UK today! - Greetings!)


Well, thanks for taking the sunshine with you!


On Tuesday, Dad attempted a braai without the help of R... Success! But then we did have a very nice built-in braai facility to enjoy! We've eaten almost every meal out on the patio, one of the joys of it being undercover.


Yesterday (Wednesday), it rained heavily and solidly for 12 hours. We spent the best part of the day in the 2 main shopping malls in Shelly Beach. Avoided Spur, ate at RJ's instead. Not bad. I will soon be able to write my own guide book on the eateries of South Africa...
Today, we paid a quick visit to the hardware store for some parental advice on decorating, in preparation for 'project redecoration' (more on that in a later post) and then we set off down the coast to see what lies South of Uvongo.
Margate is next. Absolute 'dogbox' (to quote HJ) - it does indeed live up to the Rough Guide's description of being 'The brash, built-up holiday town [...] With its high-rise appartments, fast-food outlets and ice-cream parlours, Margate offers little in the way of undiscovered coves or hidden beaches; its big plus point is the wide choice of good-value places to stay... '
Why would anyone WANT to stay in such a ghastly place?
In any case, having driven out of the centre as quickly as legally possible, we arrived in Ramsgate. Getting smarter...
The next area down the coast, and our destination for today, was Southbroom. It seems to be a kind of 'Beverley Hills' resort, with massive houses hidden behind palms and high walls with major security. These are, after all, the summer homes of Johannesburg's wealthy. (They'd feel worried if the fences were too low...) Even the beach-side cafe was posh... We took some great pictures of the rising waves and watched the dark clouds move in for this afternoon's storm (sadly has not come to much, but at least I can catch up on my email in the meantime).
And tomorrow it's back to UK for Mum & Dad, and back home to inland KZN for me. I need to do some major redecorating work on my house as we've discovered that the level of mould in the place was what was making me ill... After 2 months of an irritating cough, I've no intention of letting it return so I'm venturing into new territory this weekend. Those of you who know my decorating attempts in Leam will probably be chuckling.. I'm not exactly and expert, but I can learn... First port of call is my bathroom... could be interesting!