Friday 27 April 2007

Freedom Day

Today is a public holiday in South Africa, where everyone celebrates their freedom.
Except someone has to keep an eye on what's going on. With 70+ children around, I'm the one on duty this weekend to make sure all goes smoothly.
And it's been a chilled day, with 2 exceptions...
1. As I drove down the N3 meandering past the throngs of Gauteng cars heading for the sea, a Mercedes started flashing its headlights frantically behind me, I slowed down and they indicated my rear tyre. Having stopped safely (as safe as one can be on the hard shoulder of a fast motorway with an extremely steep grassy bank next to it!) I saw that the tyre was so flat you could see the silver metal bits from inside. Strangely, I'd not felt it at all, but had I continued much further it would potentially have been quite nasty... Anyway, I called my knights in shining springbok skins and 2 of the Young Zulu Warriors came out to change my tyre (I love them - they are so strong!) and all was well. Except I've got to fork out for a new tyre tomorrow...
2. Trying to catch up on all the things I couldn't do yesterday (see previous post for reasons why), I made the most of the office being quiet... I was in another office when I heard a noise and thought it was someone coming in. I went out to greet whoever it was, just in time to see Sunday (official and oversized 'pet' sheep) exiting my office at speed with a document in his mouth and several on the floor where he had been... I tried to retrieve said document but he wasn't letting me near him, so at the best I attempted to see if I could see any writing on document to report to the owner of that particular desk what piece of paper was missing. Yet the sheep was obviously hungry and chomped it too quick for me to identify anything! Hmm, glad it wasn't one of my documents, which are neatly organised on my desk, thankfully in the far corner of the office. For the first time, I was glad for my little corner...
And Sunday still thought he'd try to come back in and battled with the slam gate to try and get in again. I had to shut the door in his face to discourage him. We'd been discussing this week that the sheep must be lacking in an essential mineral or something as he's craving paper, now we're going to have to watch all the time for the cunning creature...

oh, and the kids, they were as great as usual! They're never really the problem here, it's the pesky extra animals that provide the comedy entertainment...